Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mom's Birthday Gift

My brothers and I decided to add a pond to our Mothers backyard and improve on the flowerbed we did last year for her. Mike and I had to purchase a new cattle troft (that is where we winter over our pond fish in the basement) because it had a small leak in it. So we decided we would use that for the base of the pond and just add a pond liner to it. We also decided to take out the edging we did last year and replace it with stone. It is mush easier to cut the grass around the flowerbeds. After seeing the chocolate colored mulch I prefer in my garden my Mom decided she wanted that also, which made me very happy…. I hate that red stuff and the cocoa shells. It was a bitch getting rid of all the other stuff, but well with it when you see the results. The sound of water in a garden is a must. Mom always says she doesn’t want anything for her birthday…but who can’t use a pond and flowerbeds. It didn’t cost much money, just a lot of sweat and love. It’s a good home for all my divided perennials.



We should give as we would receive, cheerfully, quickly, and without
hesitation; for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers.
- Seneca