Friday, September 14, 2012

Hanging Chandelier from Wire Baskets.

I got 4 wire planters at a local thrift store for 75 cent each. 2 solar lights from Target for $1.50 each and an idea from Pinterest fresh in my mind.


I remember I had these plastic chandelier parts that I had from a light I used in a Garden Totem I had made. These are very cheap looking and a light yellow. So I decided to spray them black to match my idea. I also gave the planters a fresh code of black paint.
 The I removed the bottom stem from the solar light and all I had to do was place it in the top or should I say the bottom of the wire basket. Perfect fit...like it was meant to be.
I then used a shepherd hook and placed it in a pot behind my patio furniture. It's very hard to get a decent picture of this. I don't know if it will stay here...I have to see it at night before I decide. For a couple of bucks...I think it adds a little charm to my patio.






I had got this base at a thrift store for a couple of bucks thinking I could put a bowling ball on it. But that didn't work out. So I wired the two other baskets together to put something on top of this base.  For $1.50 it will do, till something better comes along.

9 comments:

ShellyRaeWood said...

love this...especially the black dangles! Super cool! :)

Anonymous said...

Pure genius! You're a very clever lady!

Lydia said...

Very nice. Now I have another thrift store search... ;-)

Catty Patti said...

Genius idea! Perfect!

Erika Roberts said...

New follower here to say, I just love this project idea! I am going to share this on my blog, MishMashedMe, with full credit and link back to you. Check it out. Love it! ~Erika

Zanventions said...

Wow, love this terrific idea! I was putting driftwood in similar type baskets, then inserting a solar lamp with post.

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea a lot,I need to make these

schrodinger said...

I want to do this project but all I can find are the baskets with the criss-crossed wire in the bottom and they don't hang correctly because the wire goes through the center-- meaning that my light would always hang crooked. I just CANNOT find the type of basket that has a center opening in the bottom. Doesn't have to be perfectly round, but I can only find the kind that has the wire grid going all across, and those baskets just don't hang properly. I have searched high and low: thrift stores, estate sales, garage sales, Craigslist, Freecycle, cheapo stores, even big-box stores where I'd pay full price (over-priced, I know!) but I can't find that style anywhere. Everything I've seen has the crossed wires that don't let a pendant shade or chandelier hang straight. I don't want to order something on line and pay a high price plus shipping... the whole point of the project is to 'upcycle', not buy new stuff to make a simple project.

Help???

Where do I get that kind of basket planter without going on line?

Anonymous said...

ADDED: Even the solar light idea doesn't work for me for several reasons. 1. Too shady in my yard. Solar lights don't get enough sun to charge. 2. The lights don't stay on the basket I have because it's got that dumb bottom.

Sigh... finally, a project that even my dumb, clumsy, stupid and uncoordinated self could possibly accomplish and have turn out a little bit decent, except I can't find the stuff I need to accomplish it. Story of my life.